Can I get into Stanford,MIT, ect...?
I would like to major in engineering, and I am wondering if i actually have a chance of getting into some of these schools. My freshman year GPA was 4.375, sophomore year GPA 4.375, Junior year 4.5, and senior year (potentially) 4.8. I took the maximum of 8 classes each semester. I have only received 2 b's (1 in an honors course and 1 in an AP). I have taken 5 math and 5 science course and received high marks in them. I've taken relative electives (CAD - computer aided drafting - for instance) I have not been involved in sports or leadership through school , however I have been highly involved in community service (Key Club, Assissteens, food drives, tutoring at a center weekly) as well as church activities (missions work and such). I have high test scores. I am extremely nervous about getting into college. I would love to get into MIT, but I don't think that will happen. Princeton, Carnegie Mellon, Stanford and NYU are my top schools (I have backups!!). Do I have a chance?
Everyone has a chance. Don't be so concerned about the grades and such, though. In my interview for MIT a few weeks ago, my interviewer said she was surprised that I "didn't ask if [my] grades/ACT score was good enough, since most students do". Those grades don't really matter. Everyone has the same grades: good. You need to stand out in other ways, be well-rounded, etc.
Stop worrying about college, though. You have a chance to get into any college with great grades, you just need to find one that fits you. If a college denies your acceptance, then likely it would not fit you: the admissions centers at colleges know what they're doing, and know the students that will "fit". While I have applied to MIT, Stanford, and Caltech, I know I would be happy at Purdue, U of Illinois at UC, and even Colorado School of Mines despite these lacking the prestige of the schools you have mentioned. There are benefits to "backups". You'll stand out, for example, whereas at MIT, everyone is smart and you'll have to get used to getting C's.
Don't worry.
In response to me being "an idiot", I fail to see your logic. The other schools I mentioned are MUCH easier to get into, despite their programs being very good (For example, my brother got into U of I with a 29 on his ACT). But compared to MIT or Stanford, they lack in quite a few areas. They are indeed backup schools if you have any bit of intelligence and grades, and they do not compare to MIT in any way. Have you seen MIT's engineering ranking? It's a 4.9/5.0. The next highest is nowhere near it.
Despite U of I being ranked higher than NYU, the average test scores at NYU are considerably higher than U of I. Furthermore, these scores are nowhere NEAR MIT's, which middle 50 ACT is 5 points higher than both of them.
He does "not" have an excellent chance at MIT. No one does -- acceptance rates are less than 10%, and the admissions include all people who have fantastic test scores. My friend, who was ranked 3rd/370, got a 36 on his ACT, was president of NHS, spanish NHS, student council, band, and was a 3 sport athlete with a mechanical engineering internship for 2 years did not get accepted last year.
I was just trying to be realistic. Congratulations on your pathos argument though. I'm sure your answer will really make him feel better.
Oh, and my backup schools are not in the "top 10". Purdue is currently ranked 13th, and U of I is only as high as it is because of its civil engineering department. Colorado school of mines is nowhere near the top 10.
CAd Drafting Services and Solutions
[simpleaffiliate source="amazon" results="6"]cad drafting service[/simpleaffiliate]
[simpleaffiliate source="cj" results="2"]cad drafting service[/simpleaffiliate]
[simpleaffiliate source="clickbank" results="5"]cad drafting service[/simpleaffiliate]
No comments:
Post a Comment